Monday 10 December 2012

Great Riddles from the Hobbit

So in keeping with The Hobbit theme that I've really started to enjoy lately. I stumbled across the official site for the movie. Remember that amazing scene in the book where Gollum and Bilbo have the riddle competition, they've put up those riddles and there's also few user submitted riddles on the site. So check it out if you want; but I've selected a few of the better ones for you here.

Imagine having to answer riddles asked by Gollum
Riddles from the book: The Hobbit 
1) What has roots as nobody sees, 
    Is taller than trees
   Up, up it goes,
   And yet never grows?

2) Thirty white horses on a red hill,
    First the champ,
    Then they stamp,
    Then they stand still

3) Voiceless it cries,
     Wingless flutters,
     Toothless bites,
     Mouthless mutters

4) It cannot be seen, cannot be felt
    Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
    It lies behind stars and under hills, 
    And empty holes it fills.
    It comes first and follows after,
    Ends life, kills laughter.


5) A box without hinges, key, or lid,
    Yet golden treasure inside is hid,

6) This thing all things devours:
    Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
    Grinds hard stones to meal;
    Slays king, ruins town,
    And beats high mountain down.

A few user-submitted riddles on the site:
7) Although I am always with you, only one side do I show.
    Lest you see my other side, where long red rivers flow.
    I feel things yet I have no a mind to know.

8) I am the hardest of gifts to be given away. 
    I am the mortal enemy of anger.
    I grant freedom to the basest of prisoners,
    and I am always given to those who do not deserve me.
    What am I?

9) The ruby jewel
     To sting the fool
     Dance and bend
     The phoenix's end

10) I am the beginning of the end
      And the end of time and space.
     What am I?

11)  If you look at the numbers on my face,
       You won't find thirteen any place.

12) What has bed but never sleeps,
       What runs but never walks

If you think you know all of them before going to the answer page, post your answers in the comment section below.
Here are the answers to these riddles.

No comments:

Post a Comment